What to do When Insect Populations Get Out of Control
Millipedes typically live outside in damp areas under mulch, leaves, composite piles, flowerpots, boards or stones. However, they may wander into your house by mistake or in search of water during periods of drought, or in need of shelter when heavy rains drive them from their natural habitat. This can result in an infestation in your home or business.
The following are just a few ways to prevent millipede infestation:
- Remove moisture from the foundation or crawl space.
- Make sure your gutters, down spouts and splash blocks function properly to keep water way from your foundation wall.
- Repair leaky faucets, water pipes and air conditioning units.
- Adjust your sprinkler system to minimize water pooling on your lawn.
- Provide adequate ventilation, sump pumps and/or polyethylene soil covers to reduce humidity in your crawl space or basement.
Our team at City Pest Control is trained to keep millipedes out of your home and business. Contact us for more information or to schedule an inspection with us today!
During the fall and winter months when rain is common, crickets will seek shelter in your home or business and lay eggs. While these critters may seem harmless, they will eat through just about any type of fabric, causing all sorts of damage.
The following are just a few ways to prevent a cricket infestation:
- Seal any cracks or crevices, as well as entry points that could provide access for these critters.
- Keep the foundation and all surrounding areas grass free to discourage crickets from settling close to your home or business.
- Remove piles or bricks and waste materials as this also provides harborage for crickets.
Our pest control technicians have the expertise and tools to eliminate cricket infestations and advise our customers on preventing future problems. Contact us for more information or to schedule an inspection with us today!
June beetles, also known as June bugs or May beetles, can cause damage to many landscape plants and be a pest to the home gardener.
Turn off or dim the lights around your home or business when you are not using them, as June beetles are attracted to the light.
Smoky Brown Cockroaches
Smoky Brown Cockroaches can invade both homes and businesses. You can typically find them outside and in humid and warm areas. However, they need to stay hydrated constantly, so they are usually close to sources of water. This can include poorly drained lawns, sewers or inside yard debris. Smoky Brown Cockroaches generally invade a home or business because the weather becomes harsh, particularly during the winter.
The following are just a few ways to prevent a Smokey Brown Cockroach infestation:
- Remove unnecessary nesting places outside of your home or business.
- Seal obvious entry points into your home or business.
- Practice good maintenance and cleanliness.
- Keep gutters clean and remove piles of leaves and debris.
Since every building or home is different, City Pest Control designs a unique program to eliminate Smoky Brown Cockroaches from your home or business. Contact us for more information or to schedule an inspection with us today!
These are just a few tips on what to do when insect populations get out of control. City Pest Control’s technicians have the expertise and tools to eliminate insect infestations and advise our customers on preventing future problems. If you are experiencing any insect problems, contact us to speak to our entomologists or schedule your pest control services with us!