Rodent Infestations in the Fall
Roof Rat vs. House Mouse
Roof rats are common in Bryan/ College Station. You may find roof rats nesting in various places inside your home or business, including the following:
- inside walls and sheetrock
- laundry rooms
- pool areas
The house mouse is light brown in color with some gray shading and a dark tail. Their droppings have a shape similar to that of rods. Also, house mice have a small head, small feet, pointed snout and large ears with some hair.
Mice will build their nests in a hidden area near a food source. They will use just about any soft material or finely shredded paper to build its nest.
How to Determine if You Have a Rodent Infestation
The following are just a few signs you may have a rodent infestation in your home or business:
- Upset pets. Dogs can become disturbed when they hear or smell rodents. You may notice that your dog pays extra attention to the fence line of your yard. This may be particularly true at night when mice are more active
- Rodent droppings. You may see multiple, distinct piles or tracks of what looks like dirt in your home or business, particularly along walls. Look closer to determine if it might in fact be rodent feces.
- Small tracks and trails in dusty areas. Examine along baseboards, in corners and near sources of food. You may even be able to determine a rodent’s entrance and exit by following these marks.
- Areas where wood has been gnawed. Examine along baseboards, door frames, doors, inside cabinets and anything that serves as a wooden barrier. If you are hearing a noise inside your walls, check the back panels of cabinets.
- Heavy musk odor. Similar to all animals, rodents leave behind a distinct smell. If your home or business suddenly starts to smell musky and nothing seems to help the terrible odor, then you may have a rodent infestation.
- Scratching and squeaking noises. If you have a rodent infestation, you will more than likely hear them moving and scratching in your walls at night and squeaking as they go. You may even notice them scurrying across the floor or along the wall if you are up late.
How to Prevent Rodent Infestations
The following are a few tips on how to prevent rodent infestations in your Bryan/College Station home or business:
- Properly seal and store all food sources.
- Store cardboard objects or discard appropriately after use.
- Seal all openings to prevent entry.
Professional Rodent Control Services in Bryan/College Station
Our technicians at City Pest Control will begin with an inspection to determine if and where there is rodent activity. We will locate where the rats or mice are hiding and feeding to determine the scope of the rodent control problem. Then, we will discuss the best course of action for the rodent infestation.
These are just the basics of rodent infestations in the fall. Contact us with the link below for more information or to schedule your rodent control services with us today!